This tea has lovely iodine, vegetal and floral notes sustained by a magnificent texture that is smooth and silky. A delicious plucking with marine, vegetal notes that linger in the mouth.
In Japan, the Ichibancha (“first harvest”) period is the most prized for green teas, and it holds additional symbolic value, like everything associated with the renewal of the seasons in this country.
After Kagoshima, Miyazaki is the most southerly prefecture in Japan, and is also situated on the main island of Kyūshū, around 900 km from Tokyo.
The fourth biggest producer of green tea in Japan, Miyazaki is one of the best tea regions, with an exceptional terroir and promising developments in organic green tea.
This prefecture benefits from a mild, sunny climate, with one of the highest rainfalls in Japan. Almost three-quarters of Miyazaki is mountainous; although covered with beautiful forests, it makes farming quite difficult, meaning that the best areas for Sencha production are at the foot of the mountains. Miyazaki is the centre of the region’s volcanic activity, and has very fertile, volcanic soil, high in minerals, making it well suited to growing tea.
- Tea color:
- green tea
- Appearance: lovely leaves folded into fine needles
- Color: dark green, glossy
- Scents: vegetal, vanilla, fish flesh, fruit
- Scents: a good balance between the vegetal and marine notes, a hint of vanilla
- Color: very pale green
- Texture: smooth and creamy to start, silky in the middle, with a delicate astringency
- Flavors: slightly umami, a touch of acidity
- Aromas: iodine at the start (fish flesh), then vegetal (cooked vegetables), floral (white flowers) and a hint of milk
- Aromatic profile and length in the mouth: a lovely finish with rich, varied marine and vegetal notes
Grands Crus: savour the exceptional
Rare and ephemeral, teas identified as Grands Crus by Palais des Thés are the result of alchemy between a tea plant variety, its terroir and the talent of an artisan grower. Meticulously plucked, processed and sourced in the most respected tea gardens, our Grands Crus unveil unique flavours that reflect the refinement of their origins.