This Nepalese oolong is slightly astringent and has a good balance between the delicate vegetal and floral notes that linger in the mouth.
Mandala Ice is a high-quality oolong from the La Mandala garden, which lies at an altitude of more than 2,000 metres, in Ilam district. This plantation processes its tea using rare, artisanal methods.
For the past few years, some Nepalese plantations have broken with tradition and are following their passion to produce a new generation of teas of very high quality that are truly out of the ordinary. Ilam and Dhankuta, in the east of Nepal, are unlike the large plantations. Here, they produce a sixth of Nepal’s tea using the traditional method: the tea leaves are kept whole, resulting in wonderfully rich aromas.
- Ilam, Nepal
- Tea color:
- Oolong (oxidation 25%)
- Appearance: attractive leaves with plenty of long downy buds
- Colors: brown-green
- Scents: hay, vegetal, breadcrumb
- Scents: vegetal (cooked vegetables), fruit (a hint of mango), brioche, flowers (hyacinth)
- Color: golden yellow
- Texture: a subtle astringency
- Flavors: a subtle acidity and bitterness
- Aromas: pronounced vegetal (stem), a zesty accent, flowers (rose), a hint of brioche
- Aromatic profile and length in the mouth: a very elegant profile with vegetal and floral notes that are quite delicate yet linger in the mouth.
Suggestion of preparation
With the tasting set: 4 minutes in water heated to 85°C
Grands Crus: savour the exceptional
Rare and ephemeral, teas identified as Grands Crus by Palais des Thés are the result of alchemy between a tea plant variety, its terroir and the talent of an artisan grower. Meticulously plucked, processed and sourced in the most respected tea gardens, our Grands Crus unveil unique flavours that reflect the refinement of their origins.