This tea offers a pleasant, powdery sensation in the mouth. Its fresh, vegetal, fruity and iodic notes are expressed against a sweet backdrop of vanilla and flowers.
This tea is grown organically and certified by Ecocert, an accredited independent certification body.
In Japan, the Ichibancha (“first harvest”) period is the most prized for green teas. It has additional symbolic value, like everything associated with the renewal of the seasons in this country.
After Shizuoka, Kagoshima, in Kyushu Island, is the second biggest tea-producing prefecture in Japan. The mild climate allows it to make the very first Japanese Shinchas every year.
In Japan there are 43 official cultivars for growing green tea. Asanoka is a new cultivar that was developed and tested in Kagoshima, and is currently grown successfully by a few producers in this region. It is a cross between Yabukita and another cultivar from the Chinese province of Jiangxi, called Cn1.
- Kagoshima, Japan
- Tea color:
- green tea
- Appearance: leaves folded into needles
- Color: dark green and pale green
- Scents: vegetal, buttery, vanilla
- Scents: vegetal, buttery (warm butter), brioche, nuts, white flowers
- Color: pale green
- Texture: smooth with a slightly powdery sensation in the mouth
- Flavors: umami
- Aromas: vegetal (cut grass), vanilla, buttery, fruit (fresh fruit, nuts), marine (white fish, whelk, shellfish), iodic notes (oyster), hint of white flowers
- Aromatic profile and length in the mouth: delicious fresh and vegetal start giving way to myriad fruity, marine and iodic notes. The undertone is sweeter, with a hint of white flowers and vanilla
Suggestion of preparation
With the tasting set: 2 minutes in water heated to 160°F
With the Kyusu: 2 minutes in water heated to 175°F, 3 times in a row
Grands Crus: savour the exceptional
Rare and ephemeral, teas identified as Grands Crus by Palais des Thés are the result of alchemy between a tea plant variety, its terroir and the talent of an artisan grower. Meticulously plucked, processed and sourced in the most respected tea gardens, our Grands Crus unveil unique flavours that reflect the refinement of their origins.