A dark tea boasting a lovely sweetness with fresh, vegetal, buttery and marine-iodic notes giving way to hints of menthol, all supported by a pleasant umami flavor.
This tea is grown organically and certified by Ecocert, an accredited independent certification body.
In Japan, the Ichibancha (“first harvest”) period is the most prized for green teas. It holds additional symbolic value, as does everything associated with the renewal of the seasons in this country. After Shizuoka, Kagoshima, in Kyushu Island, is the second biggest tea-producing prefecture in Japan. The mild climate allows it to make the very first Japanese Shinchas every year.
Kabuse is a shade-grown tea: several days before plucking, the plants are covered to deprive them of some light. This makes the leaves become more concentrated in theanine, which results in very smooth teas.
- Kagoshima, Japan
- Tea color:
- green tea
- Appearance: lovely leaves folded into needles
- Color: dark green
- Scents: vegetal, vanilla, buttery
- Scents: vegetal (cooked vegetable), marine notes (shellfish, whelk), iodic notes (oyster), buttery, a hint of fruit
- Color: pale green
- Texture: a powdery sensation in the mouth
- Flavors: clear presence of the umami flavour
- Aromas: : strong notes of raw plants (stems, cut grass, green beans) followed by cooked vegetables and iodic (oyster) and marine notes (shellfish, white fish) with hints of fruit, butter and menthol
- Aromatic profile and length in the mouth: highly vegetal start with fresh notes of cut grass followed by cooked vegetables. Rounded buttery, marine and iodic notes in the middle giving way to a final minty undertone
Suggestion of preparation
With the tasting set: 2 minutes in water heated to 160°F
With the Kyusu: 2 minutes in water heated to 175°F, 3 times in a row
Grands Crus: savour the exceptional
Rare and ephemeral, teas identified as Grands Crus by Palais des Thés are the result of alchemy between a tea plant variety, its terroir and the talent of an artisan grower. Meticulously plucked, processed and sourced in the most respected tea gardens, our Grands Crus unveil unique flavours that reflect the refinement of their origins.